- Provide the most effective highway safety and enforcement programs through the use of appropriate traffic and criminal law enforcement (Chapter 321, F.S.), safety education (s. 321.071, F.S.), and administration of the traffic crash investigation process (Chapter 322 and ss. 316.065-316.069, F.S.).
- Provide administration and management to meet the challenge of highway safety and support the headquarters and field activities of the department (s. 20.24, F.S.).
- Provide assistance to local, state, and federal agencies and highway safety organizations through a comprehensive records and management information system which reflects driver (s. 322.20, F.S.) and vehicle (ss. 319.17 and 320.05, F.S.) status and traffic crash information (ss. 316.065-316.069, F.S.).
- Provide title and registration services for motor vehicles (Chapters 319 and 320, F.S.) and vessels (Chapters 327 and 328, F.S.), and assure consumer protection through the licensing of vehicle dealers, manufacturers, factory representatives and importers (ss. 320.27, 320.61-320.70, and 320.77, F.S.); through inspection services for mobile homes and recreational vehicles within the State of Florida (ss. 320.822-320.8285, F.S.); and through regulation of inspection stations to ensure air quality control (Chapter 325, F.S.).
- Maintain a professional and effective driver license program which assures that only those drivers who demonstrate the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities are permitted to operate vehicles on Florida roads (Chapter 322, F.S.); removes from the highways and/or requires further education for those drivers who demonstrate an abuse of the driving privilege (ss. 322.22-322.291, F.S.); and assures that drivers are held financially responsible for their actions (Chapters 324 and 627, Part XI, F.S.).
Return to Overview Page