Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Home | Español | Driver License | Vehicle Tags & Titles | Florida Highway Patrol | Contact Us | Forms | Office Locations

Non-US Citizens in Southeast Florida area

CONTACT: Robert Sanchez
Public Information Administrator

December 13, 2001

Effective immediately, southeast Florida residents who are not citizens of the United States and who wish to apply for a Florida driver license or ID card will be asked to choose among four offices in Miami-Dade and Broward counties.

This is part of a statewide change in driver license issuance for non-U.S. Citizens. In three other counties (Hillsborough, Pinellas, and Orange) that have large numbers of non-U.S. Citizens, they will also be directed to especially designated offices. In other Florida counties, non-U.S. Citizens may use any driver license office. United States Citizens may use any office in any county, including those offices to which non-U.S. Citizens are directed.

In Miami-Dade, the offices especially designated for non-U.S. Citizens are located at 12601 NW 42 Avenue in Opa-locka and at 901 NW 39 Avenue in Miami. Customers may call 305-229-6333 for an appointment at either of these offices. In Broward, the offices are at 8001 Pembroke Road in Pembroke Pines and at 3708 West Oakland Park Boulevard in Lauderdale Lakes. Customers may call 954-497-1570 for an appointment.

Applicants who are not Citizens of the United States or Canada must present proof of legal presence by providing either an alien registration receipt (Form I-151 or I-551), an employment authorization card issued by the United States (Department of Justice Form I-688b or I-766), or proof of nonimmigrant classification provided by the United States (Department of Justice Form I94, not expired) and one other form of acceptable identification.

Under federal law, Canadian Citizens may stay in the United States without obtaining INS documentation. To obtain a Florida driver license or ID card, Canadians must provide proof of Canadian citizenship by presenting two of the following: a valid Canadian passport, a Canadian driver license, and/or a certified copy of a Canadian birth certificate. An applicant who has a Canadian driver license but is not a Canadian citizen must provide the same proof of legal presence as any other non-citizen of the United States.

Non-U.S. Citizens applying for a driver license will be issued a 30-day paper permit. Non-Citizens applying for an ID card will be issued a receipt. Licenses and ID cards will be mailed from Tallahassee within 30 days unless discrepancies are noted in the documents presented to establish identity. The expiration date on all non-Citizens’ licenses and ID cards will be the same as the expiration date on their INS documents.

2001 Press Releases       DHSMV Press Releases

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | MyFlorida.com
Copyright ©2008 State of Florida